Nursing is one of the noblest professions in the world. If you are passionate about taking care of people and working in the health sector, then there is no doubt that nursing is a great fit for you.
To become a recognized and registered nurse in South Africa, you have to be a graduate of a nursing program after which you become registered with a licensing body in order to get a nursing license.
The nursing programs here can be either of the following
- obtain a 4-year degree in nursing from a university
- 3-year diploma
- a one year higher certificate in auxiliary nursing
- One year post-graduate advanced diploma in nursing and midwifery in addition to a degree or diploma.
Top 5 Nursing Colleges in Capetown
This article contains the best 5 nursing colleges in Capetown where your dream as a nurse can come true.
1. Western Cape College Of Nursing
This prestigious nursing college is located at Klipfontein Road, Heideveld, Capetown and is housed by the Athlone campus. The college is equipped with the best facilities and is accredited by the relevant medical bodies in South Africa.
In addition, the Western Cape College of Nursing has produced outstanding nurses over the years. The application process to study in this college are as follows:
- Get an application form. This can be gotten from either of these 3 campuses, Metro West campus (Athlone), Boland/Overberg campus ( Worcester) or South Cape karoo/campus (George)
- Fill in the application form
- Gather your documents
- Pay the application fee into your Bank account
- Send in/Post your application form and documents.
Due to the large number of applications expected, prospective candidates will be invited for an interview and only successful applicants will be notified. It should be noted that incomplete application documentation won’t be processed.
For more information contact +27 21 684 1200 or visit site
2. New Hope School Of Nursing
New hope school of nursing is a fully registered private institution with the aim of providing its students with long term skills through quality training and education.
The college is located in Claremont, Capetown.
New hope school of nursing has received recognition for finishing the program from the South African Nursing council.
Their students are certified by the South African Nursing Council (SANC) as soon as they complete their courses in the college.
Individuals with grade 10, 11 and 12 or standard 8 qualifications from a South African school or equivalent are allowed to apply to this college.
Contact information: +27 21 671 2334
3. Healthnicon Nursing College
Healthnicon nursing college is located in Parow, Capetown and has two other campuses; the Healthnicon Vaal campus and Pretoria campus.
The college was established in 1995 but was originally called a private nursing school. It was one of the first private nursing schools to be accredited by the South African Nursing Council (SANC) in South Africa.
The requirements needed to apply to the Healthnicon nursing college includes:
- Healthnicon offers a Computer Literacy short course as a compulsory component of the Community Health Worker short course at all campuses. Applicants with proof of Computer Literacy (NQF Level 3/ grade 11) will be exempted from the computer literacy short course.
- Grade 11 or 12
- Candidates are currently registered with the South African Nursing Council as Enrolled Nurse.
- Community Health Worker/Home Based Care Certificate
- Computer Literacy (NQF Level 3/ grade 11).
For more enquiries contact +27 61 331 1389 or visit here
4. Kayamandi Elderly Nursing College
Are you in search of a perfect place to start your nursing career?, Kayamandi Elderly Nursing College is a great choice for you. It is located at Wynberg, Western Cape.
The college was founded with the purpose of uplifting and assisting previously disadvantaged communities and individuals who have a passion for nursing and healthcare but do not have the adequate funds to pursue a nursing career.
The college has a core value of respecting everyone irrespective of colour or race and as such from all over the world are accepted into the college.
- The criteria to get an accepted application are as follows:
- A completed registration form
- Copies of your matric or high school examination certificate.
- Two-page copies of your ID or Passport/Asylum
- Anyone without grade 12 can register
- Registration fee
- An initial deposit (remittance fee) as specified for the course of study chosen.
You can apply to the college online, by post, by fax and by personal application. If you are in the area, it will be of advantage to visit the campus to submit your forms in person as this would give you the opportunity to observe the school’s facilities and enquire more about the admission process.
The actual registration is done on the college’s website
Tel: (+27) 21 838 2346
5. Kingsway College
Kingsway College has a premium nursing college that focuses on the coaching of world category health caregivers and nurses in the Republic of South Africa.
Kingsway College has been a leading example for different nursing schools to follow.
In this college students are not only taught with the simplest coaching materials but are being prepared for a lifelong career in nursing and are tutored to be outstanding career men and ladies.
Kingsway College school of nursing has a number of the best tutors and coaching hands with years of field expertise, thus students who enrol there have adequate information and all they need for the success of a nursing career.
Phone Number: +27 21 418 4287
For more information on their courses visit here